Deliciously spiced mince with peas / Serves 4
Mince 500 gms
Brown onions (chopped fine) 1 large
Ginger paste 1 tsp
Garlic Paste 1 tbsp
Crushed Tomatoes 400gm can
Hurry Curry Spice Blend 1 tsp
Frozen peas 1 cup
Chopped Coriander (stalks & all) – generous handful.
– reserve the leaves for the garnish and use the rest while cooking.
Garam Masala 1 tsp
Oil 2 tbsps
(or use 1tbsp each of oil & ghee)
Leave the peas to thaw in a bowl with hot water and leave aside.
– Heat the oil (and ghee, if using) in a heavy bottomed skillet till hot.
– Add the chopped onions and cook till transparent.
– Put the garlic paste and stir well.
– Keep cooking till the onions are well caramelised, taking care not to burn them.
– Put the tomatoes, ginger paste and the Hurry Curry spice blend and mix well.
– Throw in the chopped coriander as well, keeping some aside to add on top as garnish.
– When the tomatoes start shedding oil and the paste starts coming together, turning a rich terracotta red, add the mince and stir well.
– Once the mince is nearly cooked, put the drained peas and mix well.
– Sprinkle the garam masala and leave covered, with the heat turned off, till ready to eat / serve.
Garnish with remainder chopped coriander leaves just before serving.
Stir well to incorporate the garam masala and the fresh coriander leaves.
We love this with some fluffy rotis, pickled onions and rice. Really quick and easy, packed with flavour.
I use any mince I have on hand – beef, lamb and a combination of beef & pork. You could also use crumbled paneer or a plant based mince of choice.
(And, seeing the picture, can you tell lockdown cooking – we’re out of fresh coriander in the fridge here!!! We might need to venture out into the world again!!)