We are a family of dessert lovers and I often find myself scrounging through our pantry cupboards later afternoon for a wee pick-me-up! Here is a little treat that I sometimes whip up. This caramelised coconut burfee – “fudge” is traditionally made during the festive season, but everyday is worth celebrating in these days that we live in!
Fine desiccated coconut 2 cups
Condensed milk* 1 can
Ghee / Butter 2 tbsps
Cardamom seeds – from 4 pods
– Crush the seeds of the cardamom pods into a powder (or just 1/4 tsp of cardamom powder!)
– In a heavy bottomed frying pan, melt the butter / ghee on a medium heat.
– Add the coconut and and the cardamom powder and mix well. Toast the coconut till lightly golden.
– Add the condensed milk and mix well.
– Pour into a greased baking sheet and flatten with a spatula.
– Let sit till hardened – a couple of hours or so.
– Cut into squares (or whatever catches your fancy, really!)
– Keeps well in an air-tight container in a fridge for a couple of weeks.
*Sometimes, I use the caramelised condensed milk and we love the richness of flavour!!
If you don’t have any cardamom, just add any spice, or have it plain – it’s just as delicious.