Round eggplant 1
Red Onion (finely chopped)
1/2 Tomato (finely chopped) 1 large
Coriander (chopped up, stalks & all) generous handful
Salt 1/4 tsp (or to taste)
Fresh chilli (chopped. De-seed if you cant handle the heat) 1
Oil 1 tbsp
Coriander to garnish
- Pierce the eggplant with a fork in a few places.
- Spray some oil / rub lovingly with oiled hands.
- Place on a gas burner or a bbq flame (not on the plates or grills) to burn the skin off.
- Keep turning over to ensure that you burn the skin off so it peels easily.
- Leave to cool on a plate.
- Heat a pan with oil till hot.
- Add the chopped onions and heat till transparent pink, taking care not to burn them.
- While the onions are cooking, peel off the burnt skin of the eggplant and smash the eggplant with a fork.
- Add tomatoes to the onions and smash together till well incorporated. You don’t want to burn / caramelise the mixture, so this shouldn’t be done on a very hot pan or for too long.
- Add the coriander and chilli, along with salt and mix well.
- Add the eggplant mash and stir till well incorporated.
- Serve garnished with more chopped coriander and yummy piranhas doused in ghee or butter.
This becomes a staple in our household over the summer season.
It’s very quick and easy, coming together in about 15 minutes.
Also, as it has no spice in it, it’s a lovely neutral flavour and we love it on pizza, as a dip with crackers …